Recipe: Crispy Potato Wedges
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (adjust to taste)
- Cooking spray (for greasing)
- Optional dipping sauces: ketchup, ranch dressing, or sour cream
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). Position the oven rack in the middle of the oven.
- Wash and Cut the Potatoes: Scrub the potatoes under running water to remove any dirt. Leave the skin on for added texture and flavor. Slice each potato into wedges. Aim for even-sized wedges to ensure they cook uniformly. A typical potato can yield 8-10 wedges.
- Soak the Potatoes (Optional): To achieve extra crispiness, you can soak the potato wedges in cold water for 20-30 minutes. This helps remove some of the starch. After soaking, thoroughly pat the wedges dry with paper towels.
- Season the Potatoes: In a large mixing bowl, toss the potato wedges with olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Make sure the wedges are evenly coated with the seasoning.
- Arrange on a Baking Sheet: Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper for easy cleanup. Lightly grease the foil or parchment paper with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Arrange the seasoned potato wedges on the baking sheet in a single layer, ensuring they are not too crowded. If necessary, use two baking sheets.
- Bake the Potato Wedges: Place the baking sheet(s) in the preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, flipping the wedges halfway through the cooking time. The wedges are done when they are golden brown and crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of your wedges, so keep an eye on them.
- Serve: Remove the potato wedges from the oven and let them cool slightly. Serve them hot with your choice of dipping sauces like ketchup, ranch dressing, or sour cream.
- Enjoy: Enjoy your homemade crispy potato wedges as a delicious side dish or snack.
These potato wedges are a crowd-pleaser and pair well with burgers, sandwiches, or as a standalone snack. Customize the seasoning to your preference by adding herbs or spices of your choice for a unique twist on this classic American side dish.