Spanish Potato Croquettes Recipe
Potato croquettes, or croquetas de patata, are a popular Spanish tapa that makes for a delicious appetizer or side dish. These crispy and creamy delights are easy to make and are sure to be a hit at your next gathering. Here’s how to prepare them:
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup grated Manchego cheese (or any melting cheese of your choice)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped serrano ham (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups fine breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Boil and Mash Potatoes:
- Place the potato chunks in a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are tender, which should take about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Mash them while they are still hot to ensure they are smooth.
- Prepare the Filling:
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- If you’re using serrano ham, add it to the onion and garlic mixture and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the milk to the pan and heat it until it’s warm but not boiling.
- Pour the milk mixture into the mashed potatoes and stir to combine.
- Stir in the grated cheese until it’s melted and the mixture is creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Shape the Croquettes:
- Allow the potato mixture to cool until you can handle it comfortably.
- Take a small portion of the mixture and shape it into a small log or oval. The size is up to you, but traditionally, croquettes are about the size of a small finger.
- Continue shaping until you’ve used all the mixture.
- Coat the Croquettes:
- Dip each croquette into the beaten eggs, ensuring it’s fully coated.
- Roll the croquette in breadcrumbs until it’s evenly coated. Repeat the process for a thicker crust.
- Place the coated croquettes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Fry the Croquettes:
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep frying pan or pot to 350°F (180°C).
- Carefully add the croquettes to the hot oil, a few at a time, and fry until they are golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes per batch.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the croquettes from the oil and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
- Serve the potato croquettes hot, either on their own or with a dipping sauce like aioli or tomato salsa.
Enjoy your homemade Spanish potato croquettes as a delightful appetizer or side dish. ¡Buen provecho!