Grimme UK is taking to the road next month to showcase its latest version of the GL 420 Exacta potato planter, which now offers four-row planting in 90cm row widths with true one-pass combination planting.
The demonstration roadshow or “#RowShow2022” will start in the south of England and work its way north over the coming months, giving as many growers as possible the chance to see the new cup planter in operation. Like the previous two, four, six and eight-row cup planter options, the GRIMME GL 420 Exacta offers accurate tuber placement with variable rate control, allowing the machine to cover the ground quickly.
The planter includes the latest Grimme i-Systems technology, including Clever Planting, that calculates the optimum planting space to maximise the yield and Section Control, which automatically turns off the planting elements in the headlands and tram-lines to help save seed, time and money.
The GL 420 Exacta combination planter also includes integrated soil cultivation thanks to the GR 360 hook tine tiller. In-furrow chemical treatments are also possible as GRIMME has included dedicated liquid and granular applicators for tuber dressing and soil treatment.
“With everything that is going on at the moment, crop establishment costs and soil conservation are increasingly important for UK potato growers. By offering four-row combination planting, the GL 420 Exacta lowers these costs as it requires fewer passes to establish the crop, and thanks to its compact design, it is easy and quick to manoeuver,” says Tom Goose, sales manager at Grimme UK.
“We are really looking forward to touring the country and showing the GL 420 Exacta to growers. It’s been a long time since we have been able to organise events such as this, so we expect the #RowShow2022 to be incredibly popular, and it will be great to show growers the unique capabilities of our latest planter. ”
Growers wanting to see a demonstration in their area should contact their local Grimme UK dealer for details. Further information about the GL 420 Exacta can be found online at
- The GL 420 Exacta is a short, combined and carried potato planter without wheels. The unique design of the machine of our potato planter Type “GL 420 Exacta” results in the smallest distance between tuber discharge and following ridge form plates, which is available on the market for potato planters with conventional arrangement of the planting elements.
- The small distance ensures that even on slopes the tubers do always lie perfectly in the middle of the ridge. Due to the mechanical coupling between the furrow opener and the ridge forming plate an “exact” planting depth is ensured. Up to four loosening tines can be used in front of the soil tillage implement for a deep loosening of the soil. For perfect soil preparation the option of either a rotary harrow or a full width tiller is available.
- The compact design of the machine without running wheels, avoids soil compaction behind the cultivator. The distinctive construction is advantageous in small, odd shaped fields and on slopes.
Technical data GL 420 Exacta:
- – hydraulic single drive of planting elements
- – CCI terminal (ISOBUS)
- – operation in the ISOBUS system from the tractor or via a terminal compatible with ISOBUS
- – TUZ with hydraulic leveling adjustment, includes automatic control on slopes through the leveling sensor
- – Lemken Zirkon 12/300 with working tines debt. 390 mm
- – carrying shaft (Keilring) in front of the cultivator
- – tank with a capacity of 2000 kg
- – row spacing 75 cm
- – green openwork cups
- – white inserts – electric
- shaker on / off with shaking force adjustment
- – grate with mechanical vibration
- – automatic
- tramline switch – parallelograms pulled furrowers –
- mechanical control of furrowers’ depth by connection to a ridge former –
- parts for extension of furrowers
- – automatic control of Grimme depth
- – marker with plate
- – hydraulic marker with change valve
- – dressing kit 2 nozzles per row
- – rigid tine with a convex shaping plate
- – stone protection for the teeth on the tine beam
- – quick shaping plate for potted ridges
- – loosening teeth behind the shaping plate for stony soils
- – VA
- molding – hydraulically actuated ridge scraper
- – hydraulic pressure adjustment of the forming sheet
- – Grimme camera system consisting of 3 cameras, a 7 “monitor, and a multiplexer
- – Section Control machine license and CCI Command Section Control terminal license
- – lighting, reflective boards
- – working lighting